At the Thrasher-Horne Center, we host much more than entertainment. Our full Conference Center serves as a wonderful home base for the individuals and families that make up our incredible community. We host a multitude of weddings, parties, graduations, and business events like the recent Clay County Career Fair, held annually at our center to help introduce the city’s collegiate and post-collegiate talent to our area’s top employers. Events like this are a mainstay for our facility and are oftentimes open to the general public. Check out our online calendar and join us for an upcoming event and who knows… you may be the next beautiful face to grace our blog!
Valentine’s Day isn’t always the most memorable of holidays, but this year everything changed. You became one of the lucky few to find yourself in a brand new engagement. Now it’s time to plan your dream wedding – though you may have no idea where to start. No one is going to tell you it’s easy to plan, but many have walked (or danced) down the aisle before you and had a fabulous time doing it. Make your wedding the party of the year. Your guests will love you for it. Be memorable, be awesome, and be creative.
Here at the Thrasher-Horne Center, weddings are second nature. Our massively accommodating Events Center has played host to hundreds of perfect weddings for couples all over the region. As a result, we’ve encountered numerous bridal checklists – all of which provided varying degrees of personal success for the new bride. After witnessing the best and the worst, we’ve assembled the following as your ultimate go-to list, which we’ll be doling out in monthly installments to keep you on schedule until your big day.
Staying organized will keep you on track while you try to make your wedding memorable, awesome and creative. The items on our checklist are your perfectly portioned must-do’s to make this spectacular event come together in a way that only we know how.
STEP ONE: ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE
Don’t worry, take it a piece at time!
The planning stage begins here, where you and your fiancé are brainstorming ideas that will make this an unforgettable day. These steps are all about laying a foundation. If you think of your wedding as a college term paper, what you do in this first month will revolve primarily around research. Don’t worry about making a lot of concrete decisions… there will be plenty of time for that later in the process. Just envision your perfect wedding day, and start funneling those wishes into realities (on paper, at least).
- Work out your budget. This will be the major factor in many of your decisions. Whether you can spend to your heart’s content or have to be more budget conscious, there are dozens of ideas that will make this the day of your dreams. Identify the parties responsible for funding your big day and have a completely realistic conversation with them about your parameters. It may not be the most comfortable part of the process, but it will definitely set your planning in the right direction – eliminating embarrassing, disappointing, or stressful future scenarios. For interactive budgeting help, make use of the online wedding budget tool at The Knot.
- Choose your date and venue for ceremony and reception. This is the most important detail that affects your other planning decisions. Worried about inclement weather? There’s nothing like a sudden storm to put a damper on an outside event. Consider an inside venue that will accommodate all your wishes and desires. Do you want a wedding with a theme? Check to see what the venue might suggest. Feel free to check out our site to begin in the right direction.
- Who will be in your wedding party? Give them as much time as possible so they can plan for the big day.
- Pick your guest list. Sure, you want everyone you know to share your joy, but can you afford it? This is often one of the most difficult decisions to make. Name everyone who you would like to attend at first, then whittle it down over time.
- Who will officiate the ceremony? Make sure he or she will be available on your special day.
- Begin your research. Check into local photographers, bands or DJ’s, florists, videographers and caterers (Sites like The Knot are a great resource!) Once you’ve chosen your venue, get some great recommendations from them also as they work closely with a lot of different vendors.
- Create a wedding website. Chronicle your ventures and accomplishments. Let your guests join in on the fun. Crowdsourcing ideas and suggestions is always helpful when undertaking a huge project such as a wedding.
- Browse wedding dress and veil styles. Will you go traditional or a little more modern? What length? What colors? What designers? Have fun experimenting.
- Research all the great wedding blogs and websites. There’s a ton of them with fantastic ideas and inspirational stories. But don’t get too lost in these sites. Take in all suggestions at first, then slowly edit down the articles you read as you begin to more tightly focus your own personal wedding experience and what that will require.
- Most of all, be creative and personalize your special day. Come up with ideas to make your wedding an event your guests will rave about for a long time to come. If you stay true to your own personality, your family and friends will appreciate the ceremony even more for the way it represents your own unique style.
The Ideal Setting for your Wedding Day… The Thrasher-Horne Center, one venue which has it all!
Many stunning weddings have already been held at the Thrasher-Horne Conference Center! Nestled on the scenic St. Johns River State College campus in Orange Park, this venue provides the perfect atmosphere for your wedding and/or reception, with ample free guest parking, flexible catering choices with a full staging kitchen, and an accessible location right in the heart of Clay County. Comprised of six suites that can provide space in whatever design you envision, such as the Grand Banquet Room with comfortable space for up to 240 guests including enough room for dancing. Additionally, our other banquet or theatre spaces are the perfect setting for your wedding ceremony, combining both of your venue needs into one!
Call 904-276-6815 or visit http://weddingsjacksonvillefl.com to schedule an appointment with a Thrasher-Horne Center Wedding Specialist today!
At the Thrasher-Horne Center, the only thing more beautiful than our shows is our audiences. Check out the crowd last Saturday night as we hosted Slow Burn Theatre Company’s production of Xanadu on our Mainstage! Pick up your tickets today for our upcoming shows at THcenter.org and who knows… you may be the next beautiful person to grace our blog!
At the Thrasher-Horne Center, the only thing more beautiful than our shows is our audiences. Check out Thrasher-Horne Center’s Lee Adams Florida Artists Gallery as it filled up with the Art Guild of Orange Park’s art aficionados in January! Pick up your tickets today for our upcoming shows at THcenter.org and who knows… you may be the next beautiful person to grace our blog!
Some of the most interesting details of a stage production can sometimes only be seen by the people on stage. Here at the Thrasher-Horne, we try our best to give you an inside look at all aspects of our performances. We want you to see all angles of your favorite shows and artists… more than just the view from your seat. If we can get access to it, so should you! It’s with this mentality that we bring you a new regular feature on the blog – A CLOSER LOOK. This will be our opportunity to take you into the spotlights, through the stage door, and into every nook and cranny backstage to show you how your night of entertainment comes to be – from load-in to load-out.
Kenny Rogers took the stage at the Thrasher-Horne on January 28th, 2017, with good friend Linda Davis joining him for a stunning retrospective throughout the history and music that makes up his phenomenal career. Check out some close-up shots from the performance below. If you were in the audience, you’ll agree – this was Kenny at the top of his game, relishing decade after decade of memories and chart topping hits!
For more information or to purchase tickets for our upcoming shows, check out our website at THcenter.org!
Internationally recognized four-time Grammy Award-winning singer, actress, community activist and breast cancer “thriver” OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN performs live in concert at Thrasher-Horne Center on Saturday, March 4, 2017, brought to you by Get Off The Bus Concerts and Easy 106.5, with a portion of the net proceeds going to support Pink Ribbon Symposium in their fight to eliminate breast cancer!
With a career spanning over five decades and more than 100 million albums sold, Olivia Newton-John’s successes include four Grammys, numerous Country Music, American Music, Billboard and People’s Choice Awards, an Emmy Award, ten #1 hits and more than 15 top 10 singles. She recently scored another #1 hit, this time on the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart with her daughter Chloe Lattanzi – becoming the first mother/daughter duo to top this chart. In 1978, her co-starring role with John Travolta in “Grease” catapulted Olivia into super-stardom and to date remains the most successful movie musical of all time.
In 1992, Olivia was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her personal triumph against cancer led her to announce her partnership with the Austin Health and the creation of the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre (ONJCWRC) in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia, which opened its doors in 2012. The Centre provides a comprehensive range of services and facilities for cancer treatment, education, training and research as well as a dedicated wellness center (oliviaappeal.com).
Her latest recording, “LIV ON,” a collaborative, inspiring new CD with friends Beth Nielsen Chapman and Amy Sky is intended for those who wish to transcend loss while walking a journey toward new-found meaning and hope, was recently released to critical acclaim. For more information visit OliviaNewton-John.com or follow her on Twitter @OliviaNJ or Instagram @TheRealONJ.
Tickets for An Evening With Olivia Newton-John range from $55 to $95 and are available for purchase by calling (904) 276-6815 or online at THcenter.org. This concert is presented in partnership with Get Off the Bus Concerts.
The Thrasher-Horne Center is a performing arts venue and conference center owned and operated by St. Johns River State College. It is located on the Orange Park campus at 283 College Drive in Orange Park, Florida.
At the Thrasher-Horne Center, the only thing more beautiful than our shows is our audiences. Check out the record breaking, sold out crowd that filled our lobby and theatre last Saturday evening for Kenny Rogers and Linda Davis! Pick up your tickets today for our upcoming shows at THcenter.org and who knows… you may be the next beautiful person to grace our blog!